Seems like it’s been a really long time, but it’s only been a couple of months since my last post.
So let’s get up to speed:
I ordered two laser diodes but only one came in. I didn’t take the initiative to contact the seller/s because they appear to be a gigantic factory in China and they’re dirt cheap. So I’ll just order another one if/when I need it. I’d like to get a box of several spares but I don’t know if that will be possible unless I land on some disposable income.
I took the old diode out of the Aixiz module (The process involved a hammer. It wasn’t pretty) and put the new 808nm 300mW diode in, which was a little tricky. I had to use a vice and a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it to protect the pins.
The diode is an open-can model, unlike the old one. This requires a little more care. Can’t allow dust and debris to get in there.
At the moment, I don’t have a good way of testing the diode. The beam is not visible to the naked eye and I don’t even have appropriate safety glasses yet. It also seems that none of the leads are connected by conductive material. I’ve tested it with the ohmmeter and I don’t get a response. I don’t think this means the diode is broken, but it seems odd to me.
I need a driver. The laser has an operating voltage of 2.2V and is rated at 300mW. That means it needs about 2.2V at 136.36mA. The last time I tried to make a driver it didn’t work. Perfboard is not my friend.
In other news, I have decided to replace the x-axis linear actuator system with a much lighter belt-drive system. I will have pictures in the next post.