Progress has been made
Here are some things I’ve done in the past couple of months.
Most notably, however, I have replaced the old linear actuator system on the x-axis with this stepper and belt from an old scanner I found in the alley. I didn’t really want to do it at first because it’s a unipolar motor (6 wires) as opposed to a bipolar motor (4 wires) like the old motor. A unipolar motor can be turned into a bipolar motor simply by not using the two COMMON wires. I thought it would be a pain in the ass to find the Common wires as well as find the coil wires and group everything together correctly. Then I realized the Common wires were both Brown. So that was easy.
And as a bonus, the motor came with its own mounting bracket!
That 3/16″ steel rod you see in the back will either be replaced by a 3/8″ aluminum rod in the future or have a partner right below it to stabilize the carriage.
Notice how far apart the y-axis bearings are. I expect this to be much more stable.
Belt tensioners on Thingiverse:
That’s it for now. I have to go to work.